Sunday, January 25, 2009

1.25.09

Everyone is searching for the answer. People fill themselves daily with temporary satisfactions. We seek to find happiness in buying the newest cell phone, car, house, etc and it always ends up losing value, new shine, and gets old. In my life, I have known what to do and how to do it, but I have continually filled it with temporary satisfactions. I remember the "things" I had in life, and I can remember how I found happiness and strength in these "things." But soon, the excitement was gone and I stood alone and empty on the out and inside. BUT there is HOPE! God gives us LIFE and JOY that is beyond all comparison. From the begging of the Bible, God gave Moses the 10 Commandments in Exodus and the very first one is, "You shall have no other gods before me." I underlined before to show how God knew that He would have rival gods in His way. If we do not understand the first commandment then none of the others matter. If our eyes are not on Him, then something else is our motive for "following" the rest of the commandments. The second commandment is "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below..." The second commandment is instructions on how we tackle the first commandment. He says you cannot make an idol of Him because that is not how He reveals Himself to us. If He were able to be sculpted from of finest material in the world then He would not be the immortal, invisible, uncommon, etc, God that He is. I used the word uncommon because it is our uncommon God that needs uncommon people to stand for what is uncommon in the world. You cannot box God up and make a shrine of HIM. God is totally omniscient, He knows everything that can be known. So the question I ask is..."What do we worship?" Look in the mirror, ask yourself, "what is captivating me in my life right now?" It needs to be GOD... If it's not, you need to reevaluate what it is you are worshiping in this life. Start fresh, and go back to the FIRST commandment! Get #1 right and the rest will fall into place.

GET #1 RIGHT! Exodus 20:3

1 comment:

  1. Cary, I loved reading your thoughts and seeing your renewed passion for Christ! This is a legit entry and such a great reminder for us all. Love you and praying for you, friend!

    E.Butts

    ReplyDelete